Looking through a gateway at Burg Klopp down onto Bingen and the Basilika St. Martin
There’s been a fortress of some type on this hill since Roman times, when Bingen was Bingium. Naturally, it’s been destroyed and rebuilt many, many, many times over the years. Its present form is a 19th century romanticized reconstruction of what it may have looked like in medieval times.
Basilika St. Martin
Built on the site of a Roman temple to Mercury, there’s been a church here since the 8th century. Today, the crypt is the oldest extant portion – dating back to the 11th century. It burned down in the 1400s, and was frequently rebuilt and altered over the next 200 years. Much of it was heavily damaged in WWII, leading to its most recent restorations in 1958.
Much of Bingen’s street layout hasn’t changed since medieval times. The wall on the left dates between 1200 and 1300.
The Easter decorations on the right probably date to a few weeks ago.